The International Council of Ophthalmology Assessments for Ophthalmologists
Held in the candidate’s own country, there are two tests of knowledge related to
Ophthalmology consisting of multiple choice questions.
A three-hour paper to include relevant questions on
- Anatomy (General, Neuro and Ocular)
- Optics and Refraction
There will also be a one-hour question paper for those candidates retaking Optics and Refraction
Those who achieve pass standard or above will receive a certificate confirming the standard achieved. This certificate is now accepted as equivalent to the basic science sections of the ophthalmology examinations of several countries.
A four-hour paper to include relevant questions on
- General medicine
- Ophthalmic pathology and intraocular tumours
- Paediatric ophthalmology and strabismus
- Orbit, eyelids and lacrimal system
- External disease and cornea
- Intraocular inflammation and uveitis
- Lens and cataract
- Retina and vitreous
Candidates must have passed the International Council’s Basic Science Assessment or an equivalent recognised Basic Science examination.
Those who achieve pass standard or above will receive a certificate confirming the standard achieved. This certificate is accepted by certain examination bodies for exemption of all or part of their clinical sciences examinations.
Both tests will be held on 29 March 2001. The closing date for applications is 31 January 2001
The Test Regulations, Syllabus and Candidate Guides giving details of the criteria for entry and the test fees, are available from: The Examination Secretary, The International Council of Ophthalmology, 2 Wort’s Causeway, Cambridge CB1 8RN England
Telephone +44 (0)1223 244101 Fax +44 (0)1223 244079 Email ICO.EXAM@BTINTERNET.COM
News and notices in Comm Eye Health Vol. 13 No. 35 2000 –
- Repair and Reconstruction
- The International Council of Ophthalmology Assessments for Ophthalmologists
- Foundation Dark & Light
- High quality low cost intraocular lenses (IOLs)
- First Meeting of the World’s Patient-based Glaucoma Associations
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists Diploma Examination in Ophthalmology DRCOphth